“Thousands of Kiwis struggle with literacy every day. They don’t have a lower IQ, they just need your understanding.”
Through the simple acts of reading and writing the world becomes a richer, more rewarding place. Opportunities open up for you, and the previously impossible becomes the probable.
But before we can help people struggling with literacy, we need to understand what they go through on a daily basis”. NZ Post
Reading can help to enrich our life because it helps us to understand;
- The signs that surround us
- The ‘how’ and ‘why’ of the forms we need to fill in on a daily basis
- Maps or labels
- How we help our children in their learning
- What the newspaper is saying or a letter from a friend
- How to get a better job
- A good book
- Why our mate always wins the scrabble and how we turn the tables!
- The things we never quite got our heads around